Erik Bitzek studied physics at the University Stuttgart where he received his Diploma (Dipl. Phys.) with distinction in 2000. After starting his PhD in the group of Prof. Eduard Arzt at the Max Planck Institute for Metals Research (now MPI for Intelligent Systems) in Stuttgart, he moved in 2002 with his advisor, Prof. Peter Gumbsch, to the newly founded Institut für Zuverlässigkeit von Bauteilen und Systemen (now IAM-CMS) at the technical university Karlsruhe (now KIT), from where he obtained his doctorate degree (Dr.-Ing.) with distinction in 2006. During his first Postdoc in the group of Prof. Helena van Swygenhoven at the Paul Scherrer Institute in Switzerland he was also visiting scientist at the Ohio State University, USA, in the groups of Prof. Peter Anderson and Prof. Yunzhi Wang. His second Postdoc with Prof. Ju Li brought him to the University of Pennsylvania, USA, to which he stayed connected as visiting professor after being appointed at the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU) in 2009 as assistant professor (“Juniorprofessor”). Since 2015 he is full professor at the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Institute I. Since 2013 he is furthermore Chair of the international Elite Master’s Programme “Advanced Materials and Processes (MAP)” and member of the board of the research training group GRK1896 “In-Situ Microscopy with Electrons, X-rays and Scanning Probes” at FAU.
Erik Bitzek serves the scientific community amongst others as member of the editorial board of the Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Materials, coordinator of the German part of the International Research Network (GDRI) “Mechanics of Nano-Objects” (MECANO), member of the Executive Committee of the conference series “
Dislocations”, and leader of the working group 3D Materials Data Science of the German Materials Research Society (DGM). He is also member of the European Materials Modeling Council (EMMC), the European Materials Characterization Council (EMCC) and expert on “Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology (AM&N) Modelling, Simulation and Design” for the LEIT programme of the European Commission. He furthermore serves as reviewer for the ERC, various organizations in Germany, Austria, Israel, Canada and the US, and for top-ranked journals in materials science and physics. He also has organized and co-organized more than 15 national and international workshops and symposia.
He is author and co-author of more than 40 publications in international peer-reviewed journals, of one patent application and has given invited presentation at more than 50 international conferences, workshops and seminars. In 2008 his work was designated as “Outstanding Research by Promising Young Researchers in Mechanics and Materials” by the Japanese Society of Mechanical Engineers, in 2009 he was awarded the Best Poster Award at the Gordon Research Conference on Physical Metallurgy and obtained in 2013 the starting grant of the Cluster of Excellence Engineering of Advanced Materials (EAM). In 2016 he was awarded an ERC Consolidator Grant for his project Microscopic Origins of Fracture Toughness (microKIc).
Research: Modeling and Simulation related to Mechanical Properties of Materials
In the media:
"Der Herr der Risse: Zerstoeren fuer die Wissenschaft", TV report in Franken-Fernsehen
"Realistic simulations reveal atomic-scale details responsible for superalloy properties", article in MRS Bulletin
"Superlegierungen", article in Chemie in unserer Zeit
"Simulation am Supercomputer", article in Maschine und Werkzeug
"Warum Dinge kaputt gehen" in Laborpraxis
"Simulation: Den Superkräften von Superlegierungen auf der Spur", article in materialsgate.de
"Sinnvolle Zerstörung", Nürnberger Nachrichten, 17./18. Juni 2017
- A. Prakash, D. Weygand and E. Bitzek , "Influence of grain boundary structure and topology on the plastic deformation of nanocrystalline aluminum as studied by atomistic simulations", International Journal of Plasticity, in press Link to paper
- J. Guénolé, A. Prakash and E. Bitzek , "Atomistic simulations of focused ion beam machining of strained silicon", Applied Surface Science 416, 86-95 Link to paper
- A. Prakash, E. Bitzek , "Idealized vs. Realistic Microstructures: An Atomistic Simulation Case Study on γ/γ′ Microstructures", Materials 10, 88 Link to paper
- J. Guénolé, A. Prakash and E. Bitzek , "Influence of intrinsic strain on irradiation induced damage: the role of threshold displacement and surface binding energies", Materials and Design 111, 405-413 Link to paper
- M. Mačković, F. Niekiel, L. Wondraczek, E. Bitzek, E. Spiecker , "In situ mechanical quenching of nanoscale silica spheres in the transmission electron microscope", Scripta Materialia 121, 70-74 Link to article
- W.G Nöhring, J.J Möller, Z. Xie, E. Bitzek , Wedge-shaped twins and pseudoelasticity in fcc metallic nanowires under bending, Extreme Mechanics Letters 8 140-150 Link to paper
- A. Korsunsky, J. Guénolé, E. Salvati, T. Sui, Mahmoud Mousavi, A. Prakash and E. Bitzek , "Quantifying eigenstrain distributions induced by focussed ion beam damage in silicon", Materials Letters 185, 47–49 Link to paper
- J. Bach, J.J. Möller, M. Göken, E. Bitzek, H.W. Höppel , "On the transition from plastic deformation to crack initiation in the high-and very high-cycle fatigue regimes in plain carbon steels", International Journal of Fatigue 93, 281–291, Link to article
- J.J. Möller, E. Bitzek , "BDA: A novel method for identifying defects in body-centered cubic crystals", Methods X 3, 279-288 Link to article
- A. Prakash, M. Hummel, S. Schmauder, E. Bitzek , "NanoSCULPT: A methodology for generating complex realistic configurations for atomistic simulations", Methods X 3, 219-230 Link to article
- J. Luo, J. Wang, E. Bitzek, J. Y. Huang,H. Zheng, L. Tong, Q. Yang, J. Li, S.X. Mao , "Size-Dependent Brittle-to-Ductile Transition in Silica Glass Nanofibers", Nano Letters 16, 105-113 Link to article
- F. Niekiel, E. Spiecker, E. Bitzek , "Influence of anisotropic elasticity on the mechanical properties of fivefold twinned nanowires", Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 84 358 Link to article
- M. Schweiger, M. Schaudig, F. Gannott, M. S. Killian, E. Bitzek, P. Schmuki J. Zaumseil , "Controlling the diameter of aligned single-walled carbon nanotubes on quartz via catalyst reduction time", Carbon 95, 452-459 Link to article
- A. Prakash, J. Guénolé, J. Wang, J. Müller, E. Spiecker, M.J. Mills, I. Povstugar, P. Choi, D. Raabe, E. Bitzek , "Atom probe informed simulations of dislocation–precipitate interactions reveal the importance of local interface curvature", Acta Materialia 92 33 Link to article
Featured in MRS Bulletin. The report can be accessed in its entirety here. It is also featured in a report in the June issue of the journal Chemie in unserer Zeit. The report can be accessed in its entirety here.
It is also in the news at materialsgate.de .
This article is also among the 10 hottest articles of Acta Materialia for the period April-June 2015
- A. Köbler, T. Beuth, T. Klöffel, R. Prang, M. Moosmann, T. Scherer, S. Walheim, H. Hahn, C. Kübel, B. Meyer, T. Schimmel, E. Bitzek , Nanotwinned silver nanowires: Structure and mechanical properties, Acta Mater. 92 299 Link to article
This article is also among the 25 hottest articles of the journal for the period April-June 2015.
- E. Bitzek, J. Kermode, P. Gumbsch , "Atomistic aspects of fracture", International Journal of Fracture, 191 13-30 Link to article
- J.J. Möller, E. Bitzek , "On the influence of crack front curvature on the fracture behavior of nanoscale cracks", Engineering Fracture Mechanics, in press, Link
- A. Prakash, W. Nöhring, R.A. Lebensohn, H.W. Höppel and E. Bitzek , A multiscale simulation framework of the accumulative roll bonding process accounting for texture evolution, Mater. Sci. & Eng. A 631 104 Link to article
- T. Klöffel, E. Bitzek, B. Meyer , Impact of twin boundarieson bulk elastic constants, Data in Brief 3 209 Link to article
- J.J. Möller, E. Bitzek , "Fracture toughness and bond trapping of grain boundary cracks", Acta Materialia 73 1-11 Featured in the Sciencedirect TOP 25 list of most downloaded articles (ranked 5 of 25) for Acta Materialia in the period April - June 2014 Link to article
- J.J. Möller, E. Bitzek , "Comparative study of embedded atom potentials for atomistic simulations of fracture in α-iron", Model. Simul. Mater. Sci. Eng. 22 045002 Link to article
- J. Amodeo, C. Begau, E. Bitzek , Atomistic Simulations of Compression Tests on Ni3Al Nanocubes, Mater. Res. Lett. 2 140 Link to article
- D. Zahn, E. Bitzek , "Shearing in a biomimetic apatite-protein composite: Molecular dynamics of slip zone formation, plastic flow, and backcreep mechanisms", PLOS ONE 9, e93309 (2014)Link to article
- F. Niekiel, E. Bitzek, E. Spiecker , "Combining Atomistic Simulation and X-ray Diffraction for the Characterization of Nanostructures: A Case Study on Fivefold Twinned Nanowires",
ACS Nano 8, 1629-1638 (2014) Link to article
- S. Lee, J. Im, Y. Yoo, E. Bitzek, D. Kiener, G. Richter, B. Kim, S. H. Oh , "Reversible cyclic deformation mechanism of gold nanowires by twinning–detwinning transition evidenced from in situ TEM", Nat. Commun. 5 3033 Link to article
- E. Bitzek, P. Gumbsch , “Mechanisms of Dislocation Multiplication at Crack Tips”, Acta Mater. 61 1394-1403 Link to article
- J. J. Möller, A. Prakash, E. Bitzek , "FE2AT-finite element informed atomistic simulations", Modelling Simul. Mater. Sci. Eng. 21, 055011 Link to article
- J. Bach, H.W. Höppel, E. Bitzek, M. Göken , "Influence of specimen geometry on temperature increase during ultrasonic fatigue testing", Ultrasonics 53, 1412-1416 Link to article
- A. Sedlmayr, E. Bitzek, D.S. Gianola, G. Richter, R. Mönig, O. Kraft, , Existence of two twinning-mediated plastic deformation modes in Au nanowhiskers, Acta Mater. 60 3985 Link to article
- E. Bitzek , Atomistic Study of Twinning in Gold Nanowhiskers, Journal of Solid Mechanics and Materials Engineering 6 99 Link to article
- S. Sarkar, J. Li, W.T. Cox, E. Bitzek, T.J. Lenosky, Y.Z. Wang , "Finding activation pathway of coupled displacive-diffusional defect processes in atomistics: Dislocation climb in fcc copper", Phys. Rev. B 86 014115 Link to article
- J. Li, S. Sarkar, W.T. Cox, T.J. Lenosky, E. Bitzek, Y.Z. Wang , "Diffusive molecular dynamics and its application to nanoindentation and sintering", Phys. Rev. B. 84, 054103 Link to article
- Y. Cheng, E. Bitzek, D. Weygand, A. Walcker, P Gumbsch , "Atomistic simulation of dislocation-void interactions under cyclic loading", Modelling Simul. Mater. Sci. Eng. 18, 025006 Link to article
- E. Bitzek, C. Brandl, D. Weygand, PM. Derlet, and H. Van Swygenhoven , Atomistic simulation of a dislocation shear loop interacting with grain boundaries in nanocrystalline aluminium, Model. Simul. Mater. Sci. Eng. 17 055008 Link to article
- L. Li, P. M. Anderson, MG. Lee, E. Bitzek, PM Derlet, and H. Van Swygenhoven , The Stress-Strain Response of Nanocrystalline Metals: A Quantized Crystal Plasticity Approach, Acta Mater. 57 812 Link to article
- E. Bitzek, P. M Derlet, P. M Anderson and H. Van Swygenhoven , The Stress-Strain Response of Nanocrystalline Metals: A Statistical Analysis of Atomistic Simulations, Acta Mater. 56 4846 Link to article
- E. Bitzek, C. Brandl, P. M. Derlet, and H. Van Swygenhoven , Dislocation cross-slip in nanocrystalline fcc metals, Phys. Rev. Lett. 100 235501 Link to article
- E.Bitzek, P. Gumbsch , "Atomistic Simulations of Dislocation - Crack Interaction", Jour. Solid Mech. Mater. Eng. 2, 1348-1359 Link to article
- C. Brandl, E. Bitzek, P. M. Derlet, and H. Van Swygenhoven , Slip transfer through a general high angle grain boundary in nanocrystalline aluminium, Appl. Phys. Lett. 91 111914 Link to article
- E. Bitzek, P. Koskinen, M. Moseler, F. Gähler, P. Gumbsch , "Structural Relaxation Made Simple", Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 170201 Link to article
- J. Hagelaar, E. Bitzek, C. Flipse, P. Gumbsch , "Atomistic Simulations of the Formation and
Destruction of Nanoindentation Contacts in Tungsten", Phys. Rev. B 73, 045425 Link to article
- E. Bitzek, P. Gumbsch , "Dynamic aspects of dislocation motion: atomistic simulations",
Mater. Sci. Eng. A 400, 40-44 Link to article
- E. Bitzek, P. Gumbsch , "Atomistic Study of Drag, Surface and Inertial Effects on Edge Dislocations in Face-Centered Cubic Metals", Mater. Sci. Eng. A 387-389, 11-15 Link to article
Peer-reviewed conference proceedings:
- Y. Umeno, W. Nöhring, A. Iskandarov, E. Bitzek , "Atomistic model analysis of local and global instabilities in crystals at finite temperature", Key Engineering Materials, 592-593, 39-42
Link to article
- C. Brandl, E. Bitzek, PM. Derlet, and H. Van Swygenhoven , "Dislocation activity within nanocrystalline metals: A molecular dynamics study", Proceedings of the 4th international conference on Multiscale Materials Modeling, 2008, p. 807
- E. Bitzek, P. Gumbsch , "Atomistic Simulations of Dislocation – Crack Interaction", Proceedings of the 2008 M&M International Symposium for Young Researchers, March 2008, Wakayama, Japan, pp. 181-192
- L. Li, M.G. Lee, P. Anderson, E. Bitzek, P.M. Derlet, H. Van Swygenhoven , "A Quantized Crystal Plasticity Finite Element Model on Stress Strain Response of Nanocrystalline Metals", Materials Science and Technology 2007 Conf. Proc.
- E. Bitzek, P. Gumbsch  , "Atomistic Simulations of Dislocation – Crack Interaction", High Performance Computing in Science and Engineering ‘06, pp. 127- 135, Springer, Berlin 2007
- E. Bitzek, D. Weygand, P. Gumbsch , "Atomistic Study of Edge Dislocations in FCC Metals: Drag and Inertial Effects", IUTAM Symposium on Mesoscopic Dynamics of Fracture Process and Material Strength, vol. 115, 2004, pp. 45-57
- E. Bitzek, F. Gähler, J. Hahn et al. , "Recent Developments in IMD: Interactions for Covalent and Metallic Systems", High Performance Computing in Science and Engineering 2000, pp. 37-47, Springer, Berlin 2001
J. J. Möller, A. Prakash, E. Bitzek, "FE2AT-finite element informed atomistic simulations", chapter 9 in Multiscale Materials Modeling: Approaches to Full Multiscaling Eds. S. Schmauder, I. Schaefer, de Gruyter, Berlin, 2016
- M. Mousavi, J. Guénolé, P. Baranova,
E.Bitzek, A. M. Korsunsky, "ATOMISTIC SIMULATION OF CRACKS VERSUS GENERALIZED CONTINUA", Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Fracture (ICF14), Rhodes, Greece, June 18-23, 2017, Ed. E.E. Gdoutos.
- P.N. Baranova, E. Bitzek, "INFLUENCE OF ATOMIC-SCALE HETEROGENEITIES ON FRACTURE BEHAVIOUR OF B2 NIAL", Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Fracture (ICF14), Rhodes, Greece, June 18-23, 2017, Ed. E.E. Gdoutos.
- E. Bitzek, P. Baranova, J.J. Möller, "3D ASPECTS OF FRACTURE AND EFFECTS DUE TO CRACK FRONT CURVATURE", Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Fracture (ICF14), Rhodes, Greece, June 18-23, 2017, Ed. E.E. Gdoutos.
- M. Moseler, P. Gumbsch, E. Bitzek, P. Koskinen, "Method for calculating a local extremum,
preferably a local minimum, of a multidimensional function E(x1, x2, ..., xn)",
United States Patent Application 20070239809