Benoit Merle graduated with distinction from the Ecole Centrale de Lyon in France in 2005. After spending a few years as an engineer with Siemens AG, he joined the University of Erlangen-Nürnberg in order to pursue a PhD on the mechanical behavior of thin films. He obtained his doctorate degree (Dr.-Ing.) with distinction in 2013 (advisor: Prof. M. Göken) and went on to establish the nanomechanics and thin films research group which he currently leads.
Benoit Merle strives to develop new micromechanical methods and apply them to metallic and ceramic materials in order to improve our understanding of size effects on the mechanical properties. His main focus lies on nanoindentation and the mechanical testing of freestanding thin films.
He is the author or co-author of a number of publications in international peer-reviewed journals - as listed below - and has given 3 invited presentations abroad. The quality of his work has been acknowledged by the young academic awards that he has received from the German materials society (DGM) and the Staedtler Foundation. He has also received 2 teaching awards for his lectures at the University of Erlangen-Nürnberg and has joined the board of studies for the nanotechnology curriculum in 2015.
- Ghanem, M., Göken, M., Merle, B. Plane-strain bulge testing of thin films under compressive residual stresses. (2017) Surface and Coatings Technology, 327, pp. 167-173 View at publisher
- Vierneusel, B., Benker, L., Tremmel, S., Göken, M., Merle, B. Isolating the effect of residual stresses on coating wear by a mechanical stress relaxation technique. (2017) Thin Solid Films, 638, pp. 159-166 View at publisher
- Shrestha, S., Fischer, R., Matt, G. J., Feldner, P., ... Merle, B., ... Brabec, C. High-performance direct conversion X-ray detectors based on sintered hybrid lead triiodide perovskite wafers. (2017) Nature Photonics, 11(7), 436-440. View at publisher
- Merle, B., Maier-Kiener, V., Pharr, G. M. Influence of modulus-to-hardness ratio and harmonic parameters on continuous stiffness measurement during nanoindentation. (2017) Acta Materialia, 134, pp. 167-176 View at publisher
- Preiß, E. I., Merle, B., Göken, M. Understanding the Extremely Low Fracture Toughness of Freestanding Gold Thin Films by In-situ Bulge Testing in an AFM (2017) Materials Science and Engineering: A, 691, pp. 218-225. View at publisher
- Feldner, P., Merle, B., Göken, M. Determination of the strain-rate sensitivity of ultrafine-grained materials by spherical nanoindentation (2017) Journal of Materials Research, 32(8), pp. 1466-1473. View at publisher
- Fischer, C., Seefried, A., Merle, B., Göken, M., Drummer, D. Influencing hardness and wear during the dynamic tempered microinjection molding process by considering isothermal holding time (2017) Polymer Engineering and Science, 57 (2), pp. 121-128. View at publisher
- Ast, J., Merle, B., Durst, K., Göken, M. Fracture toughness evaluation of NiAl single crystals by microcantilevers - A new continuous J-integral method (2016) Journal of Materials Research, 31 (23), pp. 3786-3794. View at publisher
- Liebig, J.P., Göken, M., Richter, G., Mačković, M., Przybilla, T., Spiecker, E., Pierron, O.N., Merle, B. A flexible method for the preparation of thin film samples for in situ TEM characterization combining shadow-FIB milling and electron-beam-assisted etching (2016) Ultramicroscopy, 171, pp. 82-88. View at publisher
- Merle, B., Nicholson, K.S., Herbert, E.G., Göken, M. An improved method for point deflection measurements on rectangular membranes (2016) Materials and Design, 109, pp. 485-491. View at publisher
- Javed, H., Merle, B., Preiß, E., Hivet, R., Benedetto, A., Göken, M. Mechanical characterization of metallic thin films by bulge and scratch testing (2016) Surface and Coatings Technology, 289, pp. 69-74. View at publisher
- Merle, B., Cassel, D., Göken, M. Time-dependent deformation behavior of freestanding and SiNx-supported gold thin films investigated by bulge tests (2015) Journal of Materials Research, 30 (14), pp. 2161-2169. View at publisher or full text on OPUS
- Merle, B., Göken, M. Bulge fatigue testing of freestanding and supported gold films (2014) Journal of Materials Research, 29 (2), pp. 267-276. View at publisher or full text on OPUS
- Merle, B., Maier, V., Durst, K. Experimental and theoretical confirmation of the scaling exponent 2 in pyramidal load displacement data for depth sensing indentation (2014) Scanning, 36 (5), pp. 526-529. View at publisher
- Tallawi, M., Rai, R., R-Gleixner, M., Roerick, O., Weyand, M., Roether, J.A., Schubert, D.W., Kozlowska, A., Fray, M.E., Merle, B., Göken, M., Aifantis, K., Boccaccini, A.R. Poly(glycerol sebacate)poly(butylene succinate-dilinoleate) blends as candidate materials for cardiac tissue engineering (2013) Macromolecular Symposia, 334 (1), pp. 57-67. View at publisher
- Maier, V., Merle, B., Göken, M., Durst, K. An improved long-term nanoindentation creep testing approach for studying the local deformation processes in nanocrystalline metals at room and elevated temperatures (2013) Journal of Materials Research, 28 (9), pp. 1177-1188. View at publisher or full text on OPUS
- Meszaros, R., Merle, B., Wild, M., Durst, K., Göken, M., Wondraczek, L. Effect of thermal annealing on the mechanical properties of low-emissivity physical vapor deposited multilayer-coatings for architectural applications (2012) Thin Solid Films, 520 (24), pp. 7130-7135. View at publisher
- Merle, B., Schweitzer, E.W., Göken, M. Thickness and grain size dependence of the strength of copper thin films as investigated with bulge tests and nanoindentations (2012) Philosophical Magazine, 92 (25-27), pp. 3172-3187. View at publisher
- Durst, K., Rehman, H.U., Merle, B. Comment to paper "penetration depth and tip radius dependence on the correction factor in nanoindentation measurements" by J.M. Meza et al. [J. Mater. Res. 23(3), 725 (2008)] (2012) Journal of Materials Research, 27 (8), pp. 1205-1207. View at publisher
- Merle, B., Maier, V., Göken, M., Durst, K. Experimental determination of the effective indenter shape and ε-factor for nanoindentation by continuously measuring the unloading stiffness (2012) Journal of Materials Research, 27 (1), pp. 214-221. View at publisher or full text on OPUS
- Meszaros, R., Wild, M., Merle, B., Wondraczek, L. Flexural strength of PVD coated float glass for architectural applications (2011) Glass Technology: European Journal of Glass Science and Technology Part A, 52 (6), pp. 190-196.
- Merle, B., Göken, M.Fracture toughness of silicon nitride thin films of different thicknesses as measured by bulge tests (2011) Acta Materialia, 59 (4), pp. 1772-1779. View at publisher or use preprint
Nanomechanics and Thin Films Group in 2014
Nanomechanics and Thin Films Group in 2015
Nanomechanics and Thin Films Group in 2016
Nanomechanics and Thin Films Group in 2017